History of Blue Mountains Kosciusko Uplift One Million Years

History of Blue Mountains Kosciusko Uplift One Million Years

The Blue Mountains were form by the Kosciusko Uplift around one million years ago. The eastward pressure raised the area in an uncinal fold that carried it to an elevation of three thousand feet up to the summit of the Blue Mountains.

Naming The Blue Mountains

The Blue Mountains were originally name Carmarthen Hills and Lansdowne Hills by Governor Phillip in 1788. After a few years, the blue haze enclosing the area named Blue Mountains.

The Blue Mountains densely populated by oil-bearing Eucalyptus trees. The air is brimming with finely dispersed droplets oil that, together along with water vapor and dust scatter short-wavelength rays light, which are mostly blue in color.

The First Blue Mountains Inhabitants

The Australian Aboriginals were the very first people to live in this region. The evidence that the Daruk tribe that live in the area in the past can be observe through Aboriginal artwork carve into rocks. I find it fascinating that the rock artifact known as the flight of the Great Grey Kangaroo is situate at the base of Hawkesbury Lookout, Hawkesbury Heights near Wandalee.

Early Blue Mountains Buildings

In 1815, with William Cox having established a road that ran across the Blue Mountains, Governor Macquarie traveled across into the Blue Mountains in 1815. The Blue Mountains found by Governor Macquarie an army post construct in Springwood to maintain communication with Bathurst. The location was in Macquarie Road between Homedale and Short Streets where a plaque was erect. 

This the very first of many military posts built to safeguard travelers. The records show that post locations were Springwood, Bull’s Camp, Woodford, Weatherboard Wentworth Falls, Black heath and Mount Victoria.

Black heath was the site of its first construction in 1831. It The Scotch Thistle Inn built from Andrew Gardner which visit by the world-renowned scientific researcher Charles Darwin in 1836. The location for The Scotch Thistle was situate slightly to the to the south of the current Gardners Inn Hotel.

Blue Mountains Pathway to the Gold Rush

In the 1850’s, gold became apparent at the Bathurst district. This led to many people traveling across in the Blue Mountains. The Gold Rush attracted a lot of Chinese individuals who were not too at all interested in Gold. Springwood, with its lovely climate, was the perfect camping site used during this period by hundreds of Chinese. In the early 1850’s, an investigation was in the making to build an extension of the Blue Mountains railway.

Railway History

The Blue Mountains experienced great change. The old horses-drawn mail coaches weren’t up to the demands of travelers who now had the benefit of this new and exciting method of transportation in the mountains. The first stations on the railway were in Emu Plains, Blaxland, and etc.

On 11 July 1867, the first official train journey was complete in the direction of Penrith to Weatherboard Wentworth Falls where the line ended. It was the first train for passengers. one of the G.23 Class 2-4-0 passenger type engine.

The Blue Mountains Railway’s history also contains the source of The Fish, the name of a peak hour service between Sydney and Lithgow. In 1866 a 14 Class 2-2-2 Express Passenger Type No. 15 was first used for the journey of a businessman from Sydney to Penrith. Over the course of 14 years, this service was frequently drive by an individual name John Heron. The first engine pulling The Fish survived around 20 years.

Springwood History

When the Blue Mountains began to commercialize, Springwood became the Mountains commercial hub, mostly because of its Springwood Hotel. The hotel was operating in 1876 as a boarding house, hotel news agency, store and post office run by Mr. Frank Raymond. It owned by Mr. Frank Raymond. The current Oriental Hotel was open in 1891.

In the early part century, the population of Springwood was around 500 people. During the early 1900s, Springwood was gain a reputation as a place to enjoy the climate and the surrounding bushland.

Katoomba History

The surprising thing is that Katoomba was not well-known at the present time until 1879 which was the time that J.B. North opened the Katoomba Coal Mine. Coal was mine from the sides of the mountain close to Orphan Rock. The famous Scenic Railway operates in the original cut in the mountain’s slope.

It will be the very first establishment in Katoomba has built at the time of 1882 by the late Mr. Harry Rowell. The Great Western Hotel is an attraction that attracts many tourists and visitors to the region. The hotel was purchase in 1886 by the Mr. F. Goyder who carried out major renovations to the structure and named it The Carrington after the current Governor.

On the Blue Mountains railway line in 1874 There was an area in which stones were quarried for ballast. The area was giving the title after the name Crushes. Crushes, the original name Crushes was change to Katoomba in 1877.